The Truth About the Mediterranean Diet
There are several potential benefits of the Mediterranean Diet that improve your health and well-being.
Courtney Cornwall, Outrun Gravity
Most of us have heard of the famously-healthy Mediterranean diet – but why is it so special?
This diet is based on the cuisine of countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea, including Greece, Spain, and France, where research observes the locals to be exceptionally healthy with a lowered risk of chronic disease. Let’s dive into the details.
What Is the Mediterranean Diet?
The Mediterranean Diet consists of foods to prioritize and foods to avoid, making it easy for people to incorporate these eating choices into their daily lives.
Foods to prioritize:
- Fruits: apples, bananas, dates, figs, grapes, melons, oranges, peaches, pears, and strawberries
- Vegetables: Brussels sprouts, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, cucumbers, kale, onions, potatoes, spinach, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and turnips
- Whole Grains: oats, brown rice, rye, barley, corn, buckwheat, whole wheat bread, and pasta
- Legumes: beans, chickpeas, lentils, peanuts, peas, pulses
- Nuts and Seeds: almond butter, almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, peanut butter, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts
- Healthy Fats: extra virgin olive oil, olives, avocados, and avocado oil
- Lean Meats (in moderation): salmon, fish, chicken, and turkey
Foods To Avoid:
- Processed foods: deli meat, beef jerky, hot dogs, fast food, and microwaveable meals
- Added Sugar: baked goods, candies, ice cream, soda, syrup, and table sugar
- Refined Grains: chips, crackers, pasta, tortillas, and white bread
Benefits Of the Mediterranean Diet:
There are several potential benefits of the Mediterranean Diet that improve your health and well-being, such as:
- Increased heart health
- Balancing blood sugar levels
- Protecting brain function
With an emphasis on eating a lot of nutrient-dense foods that support the growth, development, and function of our cells, it’s no surprise that people following this diet have a tendency to live healthful lives.
For more advice about developing balanced eating practices to support your lifestyle, contact us at Outrun Gravity for a custom nutrition plan.